Controlling our emotions isn’t easy or everyone would be doing it! This is a question that very much needs an answer — and it is not just for those with an NF temperament. NFs visit their emotions all the time. This develops both the sensitivity and responsiveness of their emotions. Below are several things we can do to help gain control and calm our emotions.
Ways to Gain Control and Calm Our Emotions:
- Focus for a moment on taking two or three deep breaths.
Breathing deeply activates the body’s nervous system to calm the mental rush of emotions. Focusing on breathing changes the point of attention. It distracts, and distraction breaks the cycle of mental force. When you focus on your breathing you disconnect from the emotional surge for a moment. This is the chance you are looking for to regain control.
- Our elders used to say, “Count to ten before you speak.” This was an insight they gained from what they found truly worked. Again, it is a way to help refocus and disconnect from the emotional surge, thus breaking its power over us. I would put it this way: Whenever you feel an emotional surge over any issue, practice saying to yourself, “Stop! Think!” Do this until it becomes a habit. A helpful habit is what you need most for long-term success.
- Change focus, seizing any opportunity there is to alter your awareness center. Talk about anything, but not of the matter that has aroused your emotions. Speaking is a successful way of distracting yourself. Start talking about the weather, if you like. What you want is the time to gain control. That’s all.
- Remove yourself (if you can) from the cause of your surging emotions. Then start to think, telling yourself over and over to calm down and think clearly.
- Strengthen your belief that you are most effective after a little thought. Retreat, and use the opportunity to calmly plan your response.
Grasp the Window of Opportunity
The first thing you must master is taking the slim window of opportunity you have to disconnect as quickly as possible and take time to think. It is not easy or all of us would be doing it. Therefore, determine to teach yourself this personal mastery skill. Mental force is required.
If you fail and your emotions erupt before you realize it, remember: failure is incorrectly named. Failure is not failure; it is opportunity. Remind yourself that you are becoming more aware of what happens inside of you and when it is likely to happen. Awareness is the first step to self-mastery and you will soon be able to succeed. This is how we are made to function.
With a little guidance, you can propel yourself ahead!
You can get a “jumpstart” at understanding and appreciating your inner design. This understadig will give you tools to use in managing emotions. Our team at InnerKinetics is ready to provide that help. If you’d like some assistance, you can request a consultation and an InnerKinetics consultant will call you to answer questions and schedule your meeting.Schedule an Initial Consultation. If you are more independent and want to cut to the chase, you need not wait for a call back because you can get answers to your questions and schedule your session HERE.
© 2016 Ray W. Lincoln & Associates. All Rights Reserved.