In my state, we must have our cars inspected annually to be sure they are roadworthy. We cannot obtain new license plate tags without it. That inspection is forced on us if we want to drive our cars legally in the state. However, like me, you probably willingly give your cars regular inspections for running quality and performance by changing the oil and inspecting tires, filters, etc. every 5000-10,000 miles. It pays to do that and we know the importance of spending that regular time and money to ensure we maintain our investment. But what about our relationships? Aren’t they an investment? Shouldn’t we do a frequent relationship inspection to ensure we are protecting the most important investment of our personal lives?
A relationship inspection assures each partner
If one is not willing to do the necessary relationship maintenance, the relationship will suffer. Therefore, the inspection is a quality assurance plan.
So what are the points to check when doing a relationship inspection?
If it were your car you were inspecting, the obvious checks to make would be in the areas that most affect the vehicle’s operation: lubricants, tires, filters, etc. When it comes to a relationship, perhaps you should consider the following as good starting points:
- Does each partner feel honored/respected by the other on a day-to-day basis?
- Is each partner aware of whether the other is content and happy?
- Are there any signs of “wear” on the relationship that would indicate that it is sustaining damage, “in a rut,” and/or losing its ability to provide pleasure.
What if “warning lights” are coming on?
A warning light may just be “Maintenance Required,” indicating you need to attend to that regular schedule. However, it may be a more serious warning light. In a relationship, frequent arguments could be “warning lights” that you need a specialist to help you with that relationship inspection. It probably means, for starters, that you have neglected something during those regular maintenance checks. Consequently, your relationship is beginning to audibly demand your attention. If ignored, the results could be costly.
Were you really paying attention during the checks, or just going through the motions? Did you fail to do the maintenance as scheduled?
Does the inspection reveal something in the relationship you neglected because you did not know about it?
New technologies in automobiles mean new tasks/attentions/methods for the owner. In a relationship, each individual has their own “technology.” Each person has a unique “operator’s manual” and we cannot assume that one operates like another. It is that uniqueness that attracts us to each other. We must not ignore or mishandle that “technology,” because it is that uniqueness which, when ignored, can also cause real damage and the relationship will suffer. We must get to know each other well.
Once we know well how each is designed, what then?
Application of knowledge and understanding is where the “rubber meets the road.” Using that understanding well will ensure a healthy, happy relationship through the detours and road hazards of life. A well-maintained relationship and skilled operation of its “technology” will ensure a lifetime of enjoyment.
Here are some steps you should take to acquire the knowledge and understanding of your relationship that will give you the assurance of a lifetime of love and happiness:
- Learn how each of you is made on the inside.
- Discover what having this information can mean to your relationship by learning how your similarities and differences can be used to make your relationship stronger. A relationship consultation will help. Just give us a call at 720-271-1221 to schedule a free 30-minute introductory consultation.
- Attend a relationship seminar, like “What’s Love Got to Do with It?”
- Make discovery of who you are and who your partner is an ongoing fascinating study. It will draw you closer and create the understanding that will increase appreciation for each other and what each of you brings to the partnership. Your text: INNERKINETICS, Your Blueprint to Excellence and Happiness